Cyril E. King Airport
St. Thomas, US
The Cyril E. King International Airport (CEKA) is a public
airport located at No. 70 Lindbergh Bay on the southwestern side of
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands - approximately four miles east of
the capital city, Charlotte Amalie. CEKA is one of the busiest
airports in the eastern Caribbean. The airport operates 24 hours;
however, the airport terminal is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Aircraft, rescue and firefighting services are available during that
time. The Air Traffic Control Tower operates from 7 a.m. to 10:30
The airport covers approximately 280 acres. The
asphalt runway measures is 7,000 feet long by x 150 feet wide (2,134
x 46 meters. The two-story terminal, which opened in Nov. 1990,
measures 7,600 square feet on the first floor and has 11 gates.
The top floor measures 2,380 square feet.
Airlines Servicing CEKA
Domestic Airlines (U.S.)
Direct flights from New York, Boston, Miami, and San Juan, Puerto
Delta Air Lines
Direct flights from Atlanta, Georgia and New York, New York
Direct flights from Boston and San Juan, Puerto Rico
Direct flights from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Direct flights from Chicago, Dulles and Newark
Tel: 1 (800) 864-8331
Inter-Island / Caribbean
Bohlke International Airways
Seaborne Airlines, Inc.
Sun Country Airlines
History of the Cyril E. King Airport:
United States of America purchased the US Virgin Islands in
1917. The first airport on St. Thomas was a small
airstrip built in the 1920s in what was known as Mosquito
Bay. Mosquito Bay was dredged, filled in and re-named
Lindbergh Bay. On Jan. 22, 1928, the first passengers arrived
on St. Thomas by air via the La Nina, a monoplane owned by the
Aerial Express Co. of San Juan carrying its pilot and four
The US government further developed the airstrip
and re-named it Bourne Field. It served primarily as an airfield
for the US Military. The airport was turned over to the VI
government after the military ceased operation in the territory
after World War II. The original airport terminal
was an old military hangar constructed in the 1940s and the
airport was named in honor of
Harry S. Truman, the 33rd President of the United States.
On October 3, 1984 the airport was re-named after the late
Governor Cyril Emmanuel King
- the second elected governor of the US Virgin Islands.
Construction of the current airport terminal began in 1980 and
was completed in October 1990. The runway was extended from
4,200 to its present 7,000 length in 1992. The Cyril E. King
Airport features one of the largest deep-water, dredged runways
in the Caribbean.
This page was last
08/17/2017 03:03 PM